Pages

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Fire & Flood

5 out of 5 stars. I could not put this book down and I cannot wait for the next installment.

Tella has been yanked out of the world she knew and thrust into solitude. Her parents and dying brother her only company. She learns she has a chance, albeit a dangerous one, to save her brother's life. She enters the Brimstone Bleed, a three month race across four landscapes, pitted against hundreds of competitors, young and old.

At the beginning of the book, Tella's inner monologue, and the silly things she does to have fun seem very realistic to me of a girl who has no one in her life other than her parents and a dying brother.

Once Tella begins the Brimstone Bleed, the decisions she makes, and her actions are so spot on for her character. I like that throughout the book you can see her growth from this young naive girl who just follows others, to someone who is more independent and able to take care of herself. I think that as the series progresses we will see Tella get stronger and stronger. Meanwhile, her inner monologue is still hilarious.

One of my favorite parts in the whole book is the decision that Tella makes right after she gets her Pandora, in the car. I don't want to say what she does, because I don't want to spoil anything, but I will say it is the first real glimpse we get of Tella's inner strength and determination.

Pandoras. Had no clue what they were. When I found out what they were I was confused. Then later when you finally discover exactly what they are, oh dear! Completely unexpected.

I really loved that when Tella got thrust into the Brimstone Bleed, that she was not automatically this "warrior princess" able to master all of her surrounds and challenges. I liked that she had no clue what was going on or even how to survive. That she is learning as she goes.

I'm going to mention a name. Titus. This character...

First swoon: Chapter 26

There is this wicked creepy scene in Chapter 31! Oh, oh, oh!

Favorite quote: "My God. I am in the epicenter of hell, and I'm trying to psychoanalyze some guy."   

No comments:

Post a Comment