Pages

Friday, May 1, 2015

Book Review: The Queen of the Tearling

Epic. That is the exact word to describe how I feel about this book. Epic. I have not read a book this amazing in a long time. Not only is the hardcover edition of the book physically gorgeous, with its beautiful end pages, built in red satin ribbon bookmark, and deckled pages, but it is also gorgeously written.

I typically do not enjoy reading books that are written in the third person. The book has to be exceedingly well written for me to continue reading it once I find out it's written from this perspective. I can find it very difficult to connect with characters when a book is written in third person. I did not have that problem with this book. Erika Johansen is an insanely talented writer. From the first page, I was completely drawn into the world she created, and I connected completely with Kelsea.

I love that Kelsea is such a strong female lead, right from the beginning. Through her inner monologue we know that she questions herself and her ability to be queen, but she never lets her fears or doubts show. She is quick to stand up for herself, and is always trying to find ways to win the respect of those she knows will help her on her journey.

Kelsea has been hidden away her whole life and now, at 19, she must return to her kingdom to save her people from her uncle, the Regent, and the Red Queen. She finds this task exceedingly difficult because there are so many things that have been kept secret from her. None of the people who have been charged to keep Kelsea safe will tell her what she feels she needs to know. She often asks how she is to be an effective ruler if she does not have all the facts, if she cannot make decisions based on the history of her mother's reign.

I really enjoyed the storytelling from multiple viewpoints. I felt that it really added to my understanding of all the major characters. I was able to glimpse these characters through others eyes, gaining insight into the character’s personalities that I would not have had if this book was only told through one point of view.

So many mysteries. Why did Kelsea need to be hidden away? What happened to her mother the queen? What's up with sapphires she was entrusted with? Why won't anyone tell her about anything that has happened since her mother's death? Who is her father? Who is the Red Queen and where did she come from? How will Kelsea lead her kingdom? How will she defeat the Red Queen? Will there be war over the actions Kelsea takes to fix the atrocities that have been allowed to happen in her kingdom? And so many more! Erika Johansen did an amazing job of revealing just enough at just the right time, leaving me salivating for more. At the end of the book, though many mysteries have been revealed, not all have, and new ones abound.

Though Kelsea is definitely my favorite character, I also thoroughly enjoyed several other characters. From the moment I met The Fetch, I was completely in love with him. I cannot wait to see how his story continues to unfold and how his relationship with Kelsea will play out. I also completely adored the relationship between Mace/Lazarus and Kelsea. Kelsea would not be as successful as she is if she did not have him by her side. Together the create an amazingly powerful unit. Pen is also utterly adorable.

I cannot wait for June 9th! I will be in stores as soon as they open to get my grabby hands on the sequel!

No comments:

Post a Comment